Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Day 1 or "I lost my Lucky Charms"

Day One

AKA: WHAT DA YA MEAN I CAN'T HAVE LUCKY CHARMS!!!

Okay. So, I'm here, I obviously survived day one... JUST BARELY.

Here's how my morning started:



Friend: NO! You CANNOT have LUCKY CHARMS for BREAKFAST!

Me: Uh... Yes I can...

Friend: NO! No you cannot. (grabs box out of my hand) Lucky Charms are not good for you. You're supposed to be eating healthy. REMEMBER!?

Me: (my inner child immediately takes over) UH-HUH, they are too healthy! See, LOOK, right there on the box. WHOLE GRAINS. Whole grains are healthy. Lucky Charms are healthy.

Friend: Really? You are going to toddler-out over a bowl of cereal?

Me: Uh, yeah... It's part of a complete breakfast! Breakfast will not be complete without Lucky Charms. (I make a dive for the box)

Friend: (snatches the box out of reach just as my fingers graze its glorious cardboard surface) Lucky Charms are mostly sugar. You're having oatmeal.

Me: But I HAAATTTE oatmeal! (stomping feet) It's all mushy-fied and stuff. And you won't let me put any of the good stuff in it.

Friend: Did you just stomp your feet at me?

Me: (whining) But I don't LIKE oatmeal. Look, how about I measure my Lucky Charms. The box says that if I measure out the serving and use skim milk it's not that many calories.

Friend: NO! You are NOT eating LUCKY CHARMS!

Me: (pouts)

Friend: How about an egg white omelet.

Me: (pouts)

Friend: Seriously, you act like you had to chase down the damn leprechaun yourself.

Me: If I chase the leprechaun down myself can I have Lucky Charms.

Friend: Nope.

Me: Grrr!!

Friend: Hand me the mozzarella cheese.

Me: Augh, FINE!



Yep, I lost my lucky charms. My inner child put up a good fight, but she couldn't argue with the logic and sense of my friend, the health nut. I was really rooting for her too. We ended up tossing the box later that afternoon. It was one of the saddest things I've ever been forced to do. I will miss the magically delicious-ness of the hearts, stars, and horseshoes, clovers and balloons... (sigh)... BUT, it's for the best. Or at least that's what I'm told.




Around noon my body suddenly realized that it was missing what it now considers to be vital nutrients- sugar and caffeine. I don't care how many Tylenol you take, a caffeine/sugar withdraw headache is not backing down. Hopefully my body will soon realize that caffeine and sugar are not what is meant to sustain me and it can learn to survive without it. Research says 3 days to a week for my body to reprogram itself to live without it. It's gonna be a long week.



As a result of above mentioned headache, I didn't try to workout today. I was doing good to remain upright. So cut me some slack.

I did manage to cook myself lunch and dinner though.  I made a low-cal Parmesan crusted chicken breast for lunch, and then for dinner I made a lower calorie version of chicken dumplings and used whole wheat flower for the dumplings instead of white.  Then I carefully measured out one serving, and the rest is going in the freezer for some other time.  I stuck to fruits and veggies for snacks.  All in all, it was pretty good and I've got about 400 calories left for the day.  YAY!

That's what's really kind of sad about all of this. I know how to cook. I know how to cook healthy. I actually like healthy food. Yet somehow, I've let myself get so lazy, I'll run up to Micky D's and grab a burger that I don't even like to avoid having to cook. Pathetic.

BUT: All in all, day one was a success. Here's the summary:

# of breakdowns: 1
Headache: Barely Survivable

# of cheats: 0
Deaths: 0
Overall: SUCCESS! 

I think I earned a gold star for today!  :)







No comments:

Post a Comment